Business Intelligence on Retailing, Franchising, and Consumerism in China


Japanese Food Giant Returns To Chinese Market With New Partner

Japanese food giant Calbee thinks the Chinese retail market is too big to ignore, so it's adjusting its investment strategy to return to the Middle Kingdom with a new joint venture.

Calbee just ended its cooperation with Master Kong in 2015. Early in 2012, Calbee, Master Kong and Itochu Corporation established a Chinese joint venture and made Calbee-branded snacks in a factory in Hangzhou. However, at the end of 2015, Calbee withdrew from the joint venture.

Commenting on the cooperation termination with Master Kong, Japanese local media revealed that the original business goal of this joint venture was JPY50 billion within five years; however, it only achieved a paltry JPY500 million and made continuous losses.

That was not the first time for Calbee to end a partnership in China. In 2014, the company stopped its deal with Hong Kong-listed Four Seas Mercantile Holdings Limited after a 38-year cooperation.

Following the two unsuccessful attempts, Calbee now prepares to adjust its strategy. The company disclosed that they are planning to build a new joint venture with a company named UNQ. The JV will operate cross-border e-commerce business and sell imported products via e-commerce platform. Calbee will reportedly hold a 51% stake in the JV, while UNQ will hold the remaining 49%.

Other financial details of this JV, as well as the commencement date, were not yet released.







Image Credit: Sarunyu L


Be the first to comment on "Japanese Food Giant Returns To Chinese Market With New Partner"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*




  Other China News

ChinaTechNews.com:

AutoNavi, Delphi Reach Deal

Hisense's Net Profit Down 47.39% In First Three Quarters Of 2017

Airbnb China Head Resigns

DMG To Buy China Rights Of Forbes Brand


GreenChinaTech:

Chinese Electric Bus Manufacturer Lands USA Deal

American Electric Car Manufacturer To Build In China

U.S. Clean Water Company Makes Chinese Inroads

GE Will Promote Wind Power Through New Chinese Education Center


ChinaSourcingNews.com:

JD To Build Global Logistics Headquarters In Xi'an

Wumart, AGS Sign Agreement For Seafood Direct Procurement

India Gains Second Factory From China's Xiaomi

85% of Indian Staff To Lose Jobs At China's LeEco